Saturday, August 27, 2011

Kaitlyn's First Visit to the Dentist

Ok, last catch-up post!! 
**warning, not for the weak stomached** LOL
Just after vacation, the girls had their first dentist appointment together :) This was Kaitlyn's first time ever and only Addison's second time. Up until a week or two before the appointment, Kaitlyn LOVED brushing her teeth so I figured, why not take her? It's free, good for her, will establish a positive outlook on the dentist, and she'll think she's big like Addison. Win, win right?  Then she started protesting (strongly, of course) every time I tried to brush her teeth.... great. I started to get a little nervous but still thought it would be fine and if they couldn't do much I didn't really care ;)
We got to the office that morning and the girls went to go play while I filled out the loonng new patient sheet for K.  Meanwhile, Kaitlyn comes to me and announces she has to go potty. Inconvenient as it was, I couldn't ignore it so we rushed to the bathroom. In my rush, I whipped off Kaitlyn's diaper to put her on the potty only to then notice that I had just dropped a huge poop onto the floor GROSS!!! Not only that, but I did not bring the diaper bag in because, well because I didn't want another thing to carry and I'd usually rather just risk it ;)  Anyways, so it was a little crazy. I cleaned her and the floor up, put her pants back on and we went out to the car to get a diaper.  Up until this point she was as happy as can be....
When we started to head back inside she started FREAKING OUT. Seriously, like that crazy kid you see and automatically assume his parents must not spank. haha.  She apparently thought we were finished because we had gone back out to the car and she was just angry and confused that I was trying to get us back inside.  All this time I had still not even finished the stupid lovely paperwork.  It was one of those times where I felt like everyone in the waiting room probably just assumed I was a dumb teenage mom ;) I couldn't give in to her and reinforce her terrible behavior so she just remained angry at me for a while (even through my attempts to distract her). And she is very vocal when she's angry... and it was a quiet waiting room. Oy.  When I finally got the paperwork done and took it up to the receptionist, she offered Kaitlyn a stuffed animal. haha. I don't know who she felt more sorry for, me or K. hehe. It didn't really help all that much but it did make me like the office even more just for the attempt!
Somewhere in there Kaitlyn eventually calmed down at least a little for which I was exceedingly thankful. When they called us back, she flipped her switch back to cutest thing ever and was the most compliant angel you've ever seen. That child wears me out but I was sure glad she decided to cooperate for the appointment!! Even her hygienist kept commenting on how cooperative and well behaved she was... if she only knew ;)  Both the girls did GREAT and I was super proud of both of them!
Now, if any of you are still here, here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure...
Checking out the mirror to give her approval

She did really good, just had a hard time keeping her mouth open. Don't we all?

Addison did great too! She had her back to me and Kaitlyn the whole time but she was just fine.

Cheesin'

She thought the tigers were pretty cool

Great job girls!


Letting the dentist look at her teeth for the very first time :)



No comments:

Post a Comment